I don’t know about you, but soups are my favorite part of eating in the Fall and Winter! My kids love this recipe, and it is super quick and easy! You can be busy all day and still manage to pull this together! Enjoy!
- 1 pound ground beef
- 3/4 cup frozen chopped onion
- 3/4 cup shredded carrots
- 1 can green chiles
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 4 cups cubed frozen hashbrowns
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups cubed Cheddar cheese
- 1 1/2 cups whole milk
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- In a large pot, melt 1 tablespoon butter or margarine over medium heat: cook and stir carrots, onions, and beef (until beef is browned)
- Stir in basil and parsley. Add broth and potatoes. Bring to a boil, then simmer until potatoes are tender, about 10-12 minutes.
- Add the remainder of butter and stir in flour.
- Gradually add milk mixture to the soup, stirring constantly. Bring to a boil and reduce heat to simmer. Stir in cheese. When cheese is melted, add sour cream and heat through. Do not boil.
- If you need to, thicken with mashed potato flakes. Garnish with bacon, more shredded cheese, and sliced jalapenos.