Happy Monday! A few of you asked for the Butter Cookie and Frosting Recipe that we used for Valentine’s cookies! If you are looking for a DELICIOUS alternative to sugar cookies, then you will love these butter cookies! You can use this recipe for cutout cookies or just slice it for regular cookies as well. If you find that the dough is dry, gradually add water until the dough is the proper consistency. Have fun! I don’t know about you, but a little bit of something sweet is the perfect way to start off my week. 🙂
WORLD’S BEST BUTTER COOKIE RECIPE
- 8 ounces unsalted butter
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1 large egg yolk
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- Beat the butter, sugar, salt and vanilla together until smooth and creamy.
- Mix in the egg yolk until well incorporated, scraping down the sides of the bowl at least once.
- Add the flour and mix just until incorporated.
- Scrape onto a lightly floured board and knead a few times, just until the dough smooths out.
- Turn onto a sheet of plastic wrap and roll into a log, wrap up and refrigerate for several hours or freeze.
- Before baking, preheat the oven to 325°F.
- Line your baking sheets with parchment.
- Slice the dough into slices about 1/8″ thick and place them on the sheets about an inch apart (they won’t be spreading very much, but they need air room around each cookie).
- Bake until JUST beginning to turn golden around the edges, about 16-18 minutes.
- 4 cups confectioners’ sugar
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 5 tablespoons milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- food coloring
- In a large bowl, cream together the confectioners’ sugar and shortening until smooth. Gradually mix in the milk and vanilla with an electric mixer until smooth and stiff, about 5 minutes. Color with food coloring if desired.