This recipe is one of my favorites for pot luck or dinner parties! You can add ground beef to make it a meal or serve it as a side with tacos or fajitas! Enjoy!
2 tablespoons canola oil
3 cloves garlic, minced
1/2-1 cup onion, chopped
4 cups long grain rice
29 ounces tomato, (2 14.5-ounce cans)
10 ounces diced tomatoes
1 teaspoon cumin
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1 teaspoon black pepper
1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1/4 teaspoon turmeric
6-8 cups low sodium chicken broth
1 1/2 cups cheddar cheese
fresh cilantro, chopped, for serving
*1 jar of sliced jalapenos, drained
- Preheat the oven to 375.
- Heat oil in a large pot and mix in the garlic and onions. Cook for three or four minutes.
- Reduce heat to low and add the rice. Stir consistently, making sure the rice does not burn. Cook over low heat, approximately three minutes.
- Add the whole tomatoes, diced tomatoes, cumin, salt, cayenne and turmeric. Stir to combine and let cook, two minutes or so.
- Stir in the chicken broth.
- Bring the mixture to a boil, and reduce heat to low. Cover… simmer for 10 to 15 minutes.
- Transfer to baking pan, top with cheese. *Add sliced jalapenos for spicier taste buds. Then, bake approximately 15 minutes or until the cheese is melted and the rice fully cooked.
- Serve with chopped cilantro.