Happy Wednesday!! Today, I’m sharing my family’s favorite baked Mac and cheese. 🙂 It’s hearty and a great side or main course. Sometimes I’ll make a pan on Sunday and the kids take it for lunches all week!
- 2 tablespoons butter
- ¼ cup finely chopped onion
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 cups milk
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon dry mustard
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 (8 ounce) package elbow macaroni
- 2 cups shredded sharp Cheddar cheese
- 1 (8 ounce) package processed American cheese, cut into strips
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F
- Melt butter in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Saute onion for 2 minutes. Stir in flour and cook 1 minute, stirring constantly. Stir in milk, salt, mustard and pepper; cook, stirring frequently, until mixture boils and thickens.
- Step 3Meanwhile, bring a pot of lightly salted water to a boil. Add macaroni and cook for 8 to 10 minutes, drain.
- To the milk mixture add the Cheddar and American cheeses; stir until cheese melts. Combine macaroni and cheese sauce in a 2 quart baking dish; mix well.
- Bake in preheated oven for 30 minutes, or until hot and bubbly. Let cool 10 minutes before serving.
Enjoy! Xo Narci